Cheese is such a versatile selection of food. You can pair it with almost anything such as wine, meat, various crackers, and even chocolate! Yes, chocolate can throw people for a loop, but I can assure you that when you get the right richness of chocolate mixed with a delicious cheddar or Monterey Jack, it’s a match made in heaven. With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, we’ve come up with a few delectable combinations to share with your partner.
What’s so good about this combination?
Other than blending perfectly, both chocolate and cheese can have health benefits. Cacao, which is the main ingredient in chocolate, is where you’ll find the theobromine and antioxidant flavonoids. The higher the percentage of cacao in the chocolate, the healthier it will be, which is why dark chocolate has the most health benefits. When it comes to cheese, especially cheddars, it is a good source of calcium and protein, as well as Vitamin A, Vitamin B12, phosphorus, and zinc.
What should you pair together?
● A Sharp Cheese with 70% Dark Chocolate & Raspberries has a healthy balance of sweet and sour. Sharp cheese tends to have a kick, giving it a delicious, almost sour taste, while dark chocolate can have a bitter taste. The raspberries are sweet enough to cut through the sharp cheese and dark chocolate, filling in the essential flavors that make this pair ideal.
● A Spicy Cheddar with Milk Chocolate will give you a sense of sweet and savory. Milk chocolate is sweeter and tends to have a smoother flavor. With a spicy cheddar, both flavors will mellow the other out. Not too sweet and not too spicy.
● A Smoked Cheddar with 85% Dark Chocolate is great for those who don’t want too much sweet. Dark chocolate, with this high a percentage of cacao, will have more of a bitter taste which blends together perfectly with the smokey flavor the cheddar cheese.
● A Creamy Colby with Milk Chocolate is a classic pairing that works together to bring out the other’s creamy and soft texture. This combination is a traditional flavor that works well for everyone!
● A Dry Aged Goat Cheese with Dark Chocolate & Almonds has a unique flavor profile, but still just as decadent. The parmesan, and this almond filled with chocolate, tend to have a very similar texture. In addition, the nutty flavor of the chocolate has a unique taste with the parmesan. Add red wine to this combination for the ultimate flavor.
If you want to take the flavors to the next level, chase these combinations with a delicious wine.